The project “Museikon. A new icon museum revitalizes a historical monumental building restored in Alba Iulia” is conducted in partnership by the Alba County Council, National Museum of Unification in Alba Iulia, Romanian Orthodox Archdiocese of Alba Iulia and the University of Bergen - Norway. “Museikon”is financed under the Program PA16/RO12 "Preservation and revitalization of cultural and natural heritage", through the EEA Financial Mechanism 2009- 2014.
Museikon project has a total value of 9,292,349.05 lei, of which eligible value is 8,086,892.14 lei.
The program`s operator is the Ministry of Culture by the Project Management Unit, The Managing Authority – national Point of Contact – Ministry of European Funds
The overall objective of the project:
Restoring and revitalizing of the historical monumental building in Alba Iulia, through the establishment of a Museum and cultural facilities
Specific objectives: Conservation and restoration of the historical building in Alba Iulia Preparing collections to be exploited in the new Museum The development of an innovative cultural offerings, by strengthening bilateral relations Coordination of the project and providing sufficient audit trail Advertising and involvement of interested parties
Activities within the project:
- Rehabilitation and restoration of historical monumental building Restoration includes the strengthening of structural elements: foundations, walls and floors. To make the building to function as a modern Museum, functional separation is necessary: the South Wing (the actual building of heritage) will be entirely, open to public having spaces with exposure (3 temporary spaces in the basement and 7 permanent spaces standing at the higher levels), while the North Wing (the recent extension) will be used only by the staff, for the needs of functional auxiliary: offices, Restore lab, storage facilities, changing rooms.
- Interventions for the restoration of 52 ranked icons of which 6 belonging to the Museum's collection and 46 from the Archdiocese`s collection. Among them are also the oldest icons dated from Romania.
- Interventions for the restoration of 15 ranked old books from Archdiocese`s collection.. The future Museum`s collection holds the only tabs available on Romanian territory, from the oldest book preserved in Romanian language: Evangheliarul printed in Sibiu in 1551.
- Digitizing the entire collections of Museikon inventory to create the database and ranking 2500 cultural goods.
- Organizing a temporary icon exhibition in the Museum of the University of Bergen. Will be exhibited 30 icons on wood, glass and cloth icon
- Organizing a permanent icon exhibition in the new Museum, Museikon.
- A hospitable museum, alive and accessible - a new landmark in the Alba Carolina Citadel. The building of the first hospital in Romania, one of the oldest constructions in Baroque style from Alba Iulia, is turned into value by the new Museum.
- Two of the most valuable collections of old Romanian art will be made available to the general public through permanent and temporary exhibitions.
- The Museum has a collection of great artistic and documentary value, quantitatively impressive (5624 pieces), from which 2500 will be ranked. The collection contains with predilection, icons and books from the 17th to 19th centuries.
- The entire collection can be accessed through the website www.museikon.ro and www.europeana.eu
- A laboratory equipped to current standards of restoration painting tempera on wood and glass.
- A specialized library containing approximately 2,000 reference volumes and approximately 30 series almost complete of specialized periodicals published in Romania and abroad.
- Museikon will provide the opportunity for study and vocational training, in particular in the fields of theology, history, history of art and of restoration.
- Annually, will be organized Summer Schools for students, museographers and restores.